Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Get Up Off'a That Thang....

SO in my last post I mentioned that we were all invited to Locanda for a karaoke party, and let me tell you - the Italians know how to deliver.  We were all asked to make and bring masks in honor of Mardi Gras, which spurred a crazy crafting session spread throughout the sala.  We used cereal boxes, old napkins, tin foil and even a deck of playing cards. Have no fear - there are pictures to come!! Our host, Mauro (the restaurant owner - his wife, Enya, does the cooking) spent the first 45 minutes while we were eating singing Italian songs, playing the accordion and doing everything from grunting to whistling into the microphone.  Then, horror of horrors, he came over to our table asking for us to sing, and when everyone else refused I felt his heavy hand fall on my shoulder and my peers, in need of a lamb to slaughter, started chanting my name.  Past the point of refusal, I had to rise and to my surprise (haha rhymes!!) he had a list of English songs ready and waiting such as:
sk8er boy - Avril Lavigne
Believe - Cher
My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion (who is apparently quite popular)
Oops I Did It Again - Britany Spears

You Get the Idea....
Luckily for me, Allison came to my rescue and together we sang "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet boys - with all of our peers and professors backing us up on the choruses.  It wasn't as painful as expected and I was succeeded by Lindsay singing "Obla di, obla da" and Prof. Skillen being bullied into treating us to the YMCA.  Then, Mauro started putting on dance music; salsa songs, zumba songs, and various party hits from the 90s - starting with the macarena - at which point the crazy american students all got up and started jamming.  We spent a good hour and a half dancing around the restaurant, doing the macarena, the limbo and a conga line snaking through all the tables.  Some italian women from the back table even started dancing with us and by the end of the night everyone in the restaurant was on their feet and jammin! It was a wonderful cacophony on flailing limbs and smiling faces.

4 comments:

  1. Is it easier to sing in public when you're wearing a mask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait a minute here...is this college education or party central?? are you paying tuition money for this?!!!!! (we won;t talk about krissy's tuition dollars in ireland :>) love you - wish i was there to do a duet with ya kid!
    oodles of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greta, Grandma and I have both been following your blog with delight and great interest, however up until now we haven't known how to comment. Hopefully this will work!

    Bravo for the singing. Now you need to dance on a table.

    Grandma is heading to Florida for two weeks and will be having adventures of her own, including singing and cavorting with Chris Botti this weekend. Doubt she'll be posting photos!

    Glad to see that you're embracing all the educational opportunities that come your way. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...hahahaha that sounds like something that would happen in a movie :P good job diva-curlz!

    ReplyDelete